Spread the love

UPDATE: We’re Ready To Listen To Abductors’ Demands To Save Oriire School Victims – Makinde

 

••Says Oyo Will Never Bow To Terrorists

 

•••Confirms 32 Pupils, Students, Teachers Abducted

 

•••Reveals Surveillance Aircrafts Arrive Nigeria

 

 

•By OYENIYI AWOJOODU

 

 

IBADAN  —   OYO State Governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde, on Monday disclosed that the state government is ready to listen to the demands of the abductors of pupils, students and teachers kidnapped in the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state, in a bid to secure their safe release.

Makinde, however, maintained that the state would never surrender to terrorism, stressing that every effort is being intensified to ensure the victims return home unharmed.

The governor gave the update while addressing journalists at his private residence in Kolapo Ishola Estate, Ibadan, over the kidnapping incident that occurred at Ahoro Esinle Community in Oriire Local Government Area.

He confirmed that seven secondary school students, 18 primary school pupils and seven teachers were abducted during the attack, adding that one of the teachers had unfortunately been killed by the kidnappers.

According to him, “Seven teachers were kidnapped alongside seven secondary school students and eighteen primary school pupils. It’s unfortunate one of the teachers was killed yesterday.

“Now we are able to confirm conclusively that at the Community Secondary School, about seven students were abducted, while at the 1st Baptist Primary and Nursery School, 18 children were abducted and the teachers involved are seven.

“Unfortunately, like I reported yesterday, one of them was killed.”

Makinde described the situation as “fluid and difficult,” noting that security operatives were still carrying out rescue operations in the area.

“The operation is still ongoing. Yes, it is still a very fluid and difficult situation that our troops on ground are faced with. So I will please ask for responsible reports of this situation. This is not sensational; it involves lives,” he said.

The governor disclosed that the state government had established an operational situation room at the Oyo State Police Command headquarters to coordinate rescue efforts and provide verified information to the public.

“We have set up an operational centre at the police headquarters here. So the Commissioner of Police will be in a situation room and positioned to give the required information,” he added.

Speaking on security reinforcement, Makinde confirmed that the surveillance aircraft procured by the state government had already arrived Nigeria and were currently being assembled at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos.

“The surveillance aircraft have arrived in the country. As of today, they are at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos being reassembled.

The manufacturers from China arrived about three days ago and they will need roughly two weeks to complete the work.

“I can say conclusively that those surveillance aircraft will be in operation on or before the end of June,” the governor stated.

He explained that the aircraft were procured proactively to monitor border communities between Oyo and neighbouring states, as well as the international border with the Republic of Benin.

“We were proactive. We wanted to cover the borderline between our state and Kwara State, and also the international border between our state and the Republic of Benin, though we did not anticipate this particular incident,” he said.

Makinde appealed to the abductors to release the victims promptly, insisting that the government was willing to engage them to save lives.
“We will do everything to ensure that our children and their teachers are returned safely.

“These are not foreign people. It is us against ourselves. Whatever it is they demand, we are ready to listen to them and address the ones we can as a state government. The children and their teachers must be released timely,” Makinde said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *